Import Regulations in Hong Kong for Japan Used Cars
Only right-hand drive used Japanese vehicles are permitted for import. Left-hand-drive vehicles are allowed for import only on special conditions.
Only classic cars that are above 20 years old are permitted for import.
- Commercial invoice
- Import license
- Bill of Lading
- De-registration certificate (copy)
- Proof of compliance of emissions
The used vehicles to be registered in Hong Kong must satisfy the conditions laid by the Air Pollution Control Regulations and Noise Control Regulation. The following documents are required to be submitted to the Environmental Protection Department by the applicant.
- Application for Vehicle Exhaust and Noise Emissions Compliance form and the Noise Emission Certificate General Approval (NECGA) form must be filled and completed by the importer.
- Other documents that are to be attached are:
- Certificate of Conformity (CoC) (to be issued by the manufacturer, required for the vehicles that had been manufactured no before than one year before the date of application).
- Report on the exhaust emissions test which has been issued no later than 6 months and the report on noise compliance.
- Any other document that satisfies that emissions standards by the Environmental Protection Department of Hong Kong.
Petrol cars to be imported in Hong Kong for personal usage can be given exemption on emissions requirements provided that the importer has owned the vehicle abroad for no less than 6 months before importing it and the vehicle must have been registered in the name of the applicant.
OTHER REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE:
- Copy of the importer’s driving license from the country of origin.
- Document of vehicle’s registration stating that the importer has owned oned the vehicle abroad for no less than 6 months.
- Proof of residence in the country of origin of 6 months and more. Eg., utility bills
- A document stating the reason for the import of the vehicle in Hong Kong.
- Other supporting documents.
The importer must submit the application form completed with all requirements to the Hong Kong Licensing Office of the Transport Department for the registration of the vehicle for the first time.
FOR PRIVATE CARS
- 40% will be charged on the first $150,000 of the invoice value of the car.
- 75% will be charged on the next $150,000 of the invoice value of the car.
- 100% will be charged on the first $200,000 of the invoice value of the car.
- 115% will be charged on the remaining of the invoice value of the car.
FOR GOODS VEHICLES
- 15% will be charged on the invoice value of the vehicle.
FOR LIGHT GOODS VEHICLES (VAN-TYPE LESS THAN 1.9 TONS)
- 33% will be charged on the first $150,000 of the invoice value of the vehicle.
- 65% will be charged on the next $150,000 of the invoice value of the vehicle.
- 85% will be charged on the remaining of the invoice value of the vehicle.
- 17% will be charged on the invoice value of the vehicle as Registration Tax.
FOR SPECIAL VEHICLES, TAXIES, AND LIGHT BUSES
- 3.7% will be charged on the invoice value of the vehicle as Registration Tax.